SHARE IT

It you read it, enjoyed it, then share it.

Tuesday 4 November 2014

Mom time: Just me, me , me ... and him

Four. Four is an absolutely fantastic age. I'm loving four. It's all about the world around you. It's inquiring, it's inquisitive, it's energetic, it's enthusiastic, it's exhausting.
If you're paying attention it's up close and personal, in-your-face development that is fascinating to watch, and not a little scary because you can literally see the influence you have on your child. What you say and what you do matters, because they will say it and do it tomorrow, so what do you want them to say and do?
They're learning right from wrong, distinguishing between fantasy and reality, understanding the concept of consequences ... or at least most of them are.
There are a lot of "it's not okay to say that," and "let's talk about that later", and "did that really happen or were you hoping it would happen?"
But then you always get those tiresome few who appear to have spent these all-important developmental years in the laundry cupboard because aged 40 they seem incapable of telling right from wrong, and in this case, sadly, fantasy from reality.
I'm approaching the 12th kay of a half marathon recently when a man trots up alongside me, gives me a long look which I am aware of but cannot meet. It's paramount that I look straight ahead otherwise I will fall over my feet, or someone else's.
He says: "you have baie mooi boude."
Really?
You've come all this way to run through the misty Kaapschehoop mountains with wild horses, suck in deep lungfuls of gorgeous air, cruise downhills and THAT'S what you're looking at?
So I say: "Really? That's what you've chosen to look at?"
He says: "I'm not a boobs man."
Excellent.
Lucky me.
I say: "You shouldn't be looking at either."
And then the without-fail clincher: "It's a compliment!"
Urgh!
Not only does this jolt my perfect running karma but it grates because the last is said over his shoulder as he accelerates, leaving me and my "mooi bode" used, withered and violated in his dust.
If only I could have tossed a carefree laugh to the wind over MY shoulder and said gaily, "well watch them disappear then."

No comments:

Post a Comment